With so much data surrounding the world of email marketing, it can be difficult to make sense of it all. In other words, you don’t just need the figures — you need to know what you can do with these figures as you craft your email marketing strategy.
Let the team at Impressive come to your rescue. We’ve picked out some of the most important email marketing statistics for 2023 and beyond, helping you gain that all-important understanding as you set yourself up for success. Remember, the key feature of performance marketing is ‘performance’ — so you need to make sure your emails are hitting your key targets.
The Email Marketing Statistics You Need to Know About in 2023
- Email marketing is still growing — it’s used by half of all media planners, and around a quarter said they would be using it for the first time in 2021.
- Worldwide, email marketing is expected to generate US$11 billion (A$17 billion) by the end of 2023.
- People are still using email every day — around 4 billion used it daily in 2021, and around 4.6 billion are expected to do so by 2025.
- This translated to an astonishing 319 billion emails sent and received on a daily basis in 2021.
- Small businesses are loving email marketing too, and more than two-thirds of these organisations sent out marketing emails in 2021.
- More than one-third of brands said they would be increasing their budget for email marketing in 2021, compared to only 1.3% who said they planned to cut back on spending.
- Businesses are achieving great things with new techniques in email marketing. Subscriber segmentation, message personalisation, and email automation are reported to be the most effective methods for organisations seeking to achieve email marketing success this year.
- Around 45% of marketers are sending weekly emails to their subscribers.
- Around a third of marketers said they were sending emails several times every week, while less than 10% reported sending daily emails.
- Not all brands agree that email marketing is so important — the number that described it as “critical to business success” fell from 78% to 41.5% between 2020 and 2021. This is despite 77% of marketers reporting increases in email engagement in 2021.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) technology is on the rise, and 95% of marketers said it was “effective” in email marketing — more than half said it was “very effective.”
- Around 43% of marketers using generative AI in their campaigns said email creation was the best use of this tech.
- Spam filters are becoming more sophisticated, and around 14.3% of emails sent out either go missing or get blocked by anti-spam features. This means marketers are having to work harder to build relationships with their leads.
- Mobile is now a key area of focus for email marketers, with around 55% of worldwide website traffic coming from smartphone devices in 2022.
- Apple’s own email client has the greatest market share at 58%, followed by Gmail at 28.78% and then Outlook at 4.2%.
- Younger people are more likely to use their mobile device to check their emails — 59% of millennials use mobile as their main email device, compared to 67% for members of Gen Z.
- In 2021, 46% of smartphone users said that they preferred to receive business communications through email, over any other channel.
- Email marketing is still proving very effective, with around half of people making a purchase from a marketing email at least once a month.
- Around 59% of consumers said that a marketing email had encouraged them to make a purchase in 2022.
- One of the key reasons behind this effectiveness is that email is a very visible medium for consumers — 84.3% said they checked their email at least every day.
- Email marketers need to make sure their messaging is concise and impactful, as customers spend an average of 10 seconds reading marketing emails.
- The main decision factor in opening an email is recognition — the recipient needs to know who the sender is.
- The second most important decision factor is time — the recipient must have enough spare time to actually read the email.
Get Expert Email Marketing Assistance from the Professional Team at Impressive
Data is so important to your strategy. This is what gives you the confidence to make the right moves, and the foundation you need to build a successful strategy. While the email marketing statistics we’ve discussed today will help you move in the right direction, there’s still more to do as you optimise your strategy. Don’t worry, Impressive is here to help — reach out to our team today, schedule your consultation, and get your Free Marketing Plan, with no obligation.