Construction companies haven’t traditionally prioritised digital marketing strategies, relying instead on their industry reputation, word of mouth, conventional advertising methods, and real-world connections to get new projects.
However, a solid SEO strategy is now essential to thrive in digital marketing, whether you’re involved in the construction industry or not.
Your company needs to find a way to stand out from the competition, and construction SEO is a crucial strategy to achieve your business goals and gain a competitive advantage.
Of course, you don’t have to do the work alone. Impressive is ready to help you construct (see what we did there?) your construction SEO strategy. Read on to learn more about construction SEO and how Impressive can help you achieve your goals.GET A FREE QUOTE
What is construction SEO?
For construction companies, search engine optimisation (SEO) is a way to attract quality, organic traffic to their websites. The ultimate goal, of course, is to turn that traffic into customers. On the surface, construction company SEO strategies don’t seem all that different from those used in other industries. But compared to other businesses, the construction industry has a few quirks that make it a little trickier to manoeuvre SEO-wise.
For instance, who are the customer personas your company is targeting? You must put yourself in the shoes of those customer segments you consider a key part of your market. Will you be providing contracting services to both commercial and residential customers?
You need to be aware of their pain points and the different stages of their journey and find out what keywords or search phrases they use to find companies like yours. You’ll need to refine your SEO strategy to ensure qualified leads find their way to your website.GET A FREE QUOTE
The role of SEO for a construction company
To compete effectively in today’s saturated digital marketplace, companies need to distinguish themselves from the competition. By partnering with a reputable construction SEO agency like Impressive, you’ll have the tools and expertise to identify and overtake your competitors in the digital arena.
BOOK A FREE STRATEGY SESSION
How can construction companies benefit from SEO?
With the right SEO partner and strategy, your construction company can benefit in the following ways:
- Increase website traffic: a well-optimised website can boost its online rankings effectively. When your site’s search engine ranking increases, it will get the exposure it needs (via search engine results) to get more site visitors, which equates to an increase in traffic.
- Boost ROI: a well-structured SEO campaign can result in high-quality, targeted traffic. This means that the chances of your website getting visits from your ideal audience increases, which can translate into actual sales and optimised investments in SEO.
- Enhance brand awareness: when more individuals consistently interact with your brand because of higher search engine rankings, you’re establishing and building trust in your brand. Being found for relevant search phrases conveys to customers that your company is a good fit for their specific interests and requirements.
- Improve user experience (UX): SEO is not just about keywords or search terms. It’s also about delivering relevant, valuable, well-written content and having a website that loads quickly and is responsive, intuitive, and easy to navigate. When your site delivers great UX consistently, it will entice more and more users, resulting in better site traffic.
What do construction SEO services look like?
If you’re an SEO novice, you might find terms like schema markup, backlinks, local SEO, and so on a bit confusing.
However, with the right company offering construction SEO services, you’ll learn more about SEO and understand its value to your business.
At Impressive, we take a general snapshot of your industry and study the specific elements that impact your site’s online performance. We look at your target market and your competitors. We’ll find what they’re doing right and not-so-right, the same as you.
We’ll identify opportunities to improve your website and optimise it for search engines like Google, Bing, and others. Finally, we’ll take the time to see which existing content on your site has SEO value and which needs revamping.
Our ultimate goal is to ensure search engines (and users) know that you have a quality website with content that demonstrates your authority in your industry. This way, it’ll be easier for your site to rank on search engine results pages (SERPs) and attract more traffic.
What should you look for in a construction SEO provider?
You’ll come across several results when you search for construction SEO providers. So, how do you find the right partner?
Make sure you consider the following criteria before committing to working with one:
- Track record of industry success: when we talk about success here, it’s not about positive results in the SEO practice in general. Your choice of SEO company should demonstrate excellent outcomes involving SEO for the construction industry, not for publishing, health, or some other field.
- Good understanding of your needs and objectives: from the outset, an SEO provider should understand your needs and objectives to tailor the right strategy for you and know your objectives as a construction firm. Without this, you risk wasting valuable resources on an irrelevant SEO strategy for your business.
- Clarity of expectations: setting clear expectations from the start can prevent complications like the SEO agency over-promising and under-delivering on their promises. Although an SEO strategy can have a certain complexity, both sides must have a complete grasp of the SEO process.
- Transparency: this is essential for you to build rapport and trust with your SEO service provider. You need to ask questions and get straightforward answers. A good construction SEO agency won’t leave you in the dark about anything that involves your company.
- Open communication: maintaining open lines of communication or, at least, agreeing to communicate at specific intervals using certain channels can improve your relationship with your construction SEO provider and build trust. With regular and open talks, it becomes easier to share your ideas, thoughts, and questions.
Why SEO for home builders requires a specialised approach
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to construction SEO.
To ensure you have the right SEO strategy, your provider should know what makes your business unique, including its products, services, needs, and objectives.
You know you’re with the right SEO partner when they take the time to get to know your business in depth before formulating any strategy.BOOK A FREE STRATEGY SESSION
How long does it take to get results for construction SEO?
Like most good things in life, results for construction SEO can take time to bake, from a couple of weeks to several months. Building momentum and generating results don’t happen overnight. SEO is not a one-time task. It’s a process that requires a lot of data collection, analysis, planning, and report generation.
At Impressive, we share different reports with our clients, including on-page, off-page, and technical SEO documents. We provide services that cover keyword research, SEO implementation, content creation, link building, and more.
It might be a little while, but the results are often worth the wait. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll see results. Kick-start work on your SEO campaign today by calling our Impressive team today.BOOK A FREE STRATEGY SESSION
Our construction SEO strategies
So, what exactly do we do at Impressive for construction SEO that puts us above the rest? Take a look at some of the strategies we use to generate the best results:
- On-Page SEO: Title tag, image, keyword and meta description optimisation, etc.
- Off-Page SEO: Link building, partnerships or collaborations with well-known brands, guest posting, etc.
- Technical SEO: Designing, optimising URLs, checking indexing issues, etc.
Evidence-based construction marketing
Impressive develops data-driven, practical, and achievable search engine and content marketing strategies. We offer a foolproof approach to carrying out an SEO and content strategy that increases traffic, generates quality leads, and strengthens the authority of your business.
We set realistic targets and measurable outcomes with our SEO services. We accomplish this by performing exhaustive research and preparation.
We ensure that your investment in construction SEO brings tangible results that positively impact your business. And if you want to know more – all you have to do is get in touch today!BOOK A FREE STRATEGY SESSION
Construction SEO Case Study: Impressive x Minicove Homes
Laying the Foundations for Success (SEMRush Award Winner 2020, best online marketing campaign: real estate)
Who are Minicove Homes, and what were their challenges?
Minicove Homes are local home builders based in NSW, with the major target areas of Wollongong, Shoalhaven, Southern Highlands & Goulburn. Minicove Homes were finding it difficult to compete based on price point (while affordable, they weren’t the cheapest). They also had a heavy reliance on their website as a main avenue to generate leads for converting into sales. They were looking for an agency to deliver strong organic search results, to assist against their competitors.BOOK A FREE STRATEGY SESSION
What strategy did Impressive and Minicove Homes follow?
Objective: increase organic traffic for the website, in particular from their target locations so they could have the best chance of conversions.
Our strategy: in order to create a successful SEO strategy, our team had a detailed interview with the client to discuss their main focus areas. This included identifying key sections of their website that needed our attention and identifying content opportunities. Our strategy was to divide the target audience into 3 funnels depending on the target keyword:
- TOFU (Top of the Funnel) – These were the audiences that were looking for information related to purchasing a new home, stamp duty, new home buyers grants etc and often landed on the article pages. These types of audiences would have just begun their research and it would take them time to go from research mode to actively looking at buying options.
- MOFU (Middle of the Funnel) – These were the audiences that landed on Home Design as well as House & Land Package sections.
- BOFU (Bottom of the Funnel) – These were the audiences that used specific buzz-words like “builders”, “home builders”, “display homes” along with their target geolocation. These buzz-words would indicate a much stronger intent to purchase a new home.
How did Impressive implement the SEO and content strategy?
Our keyword research was into three phases: Indexed Keywords, Competitor Keywords and Keyword variations. Once this research was completed, we created a blueprint of the highest-priority keywords and target URLs to address as part of our organic SEO strategy.
Our keywords and target URLs were collected together into a content planner along with briefing instructions for Minicove Homes to approve. Once approved, the Impressive content team got started executing this plan, writing content based on keyword research provided by the SEO team.
At the same time, ongoing technical SEO tasks were conducted, including
- Deep technical audits to identify and resolve any technical SEO issues: for example, the site had issues with 404 errors and broken backlinks which were fixed on a priority basis.
- Ongoing performance monitoring, tracking rankings, traffic and conversions
- Researching industry-relevant blog topics including target keywords and appropriate references. We used the “Topic Research” tool in SEMrush for our research.
What were the results of our work?
The website has had major improvement in keyword rankings, especially in positions 4-10. As of September 2020, there were 283 keywords in positions 4-10 and 96 keywords in the Top 3.
Organic traffic growth
The first 6 months of the SEO campaign saw an organic session growth of 46.57% (up from 36,842 to 54,000), meaning the targeting KPI of 30-40% growth in 12 months was achieved in the first 6 months of the campaign.
During the same period, the organic sessions for geolocation New South Wales went up by almost 35%. This indicates that the website is not only getting more organic traffic, but they were also getting more from the target location.
Clicks and Impressions
Our snapshot from Google Search Console shows a 120% increase in unbranded clicks for the first 6 months of the campaign – up from 11,500 to 25,300 (excluding any search queries with “Mincove” in them to find the unbranded clicks).
This snapshot covers data for one of the Minicove Homes articles published on the site. This article was originally published in 2019, and reworked by our content team to include relevant 2020 information about first home buyer schemes. In the first 6 months of the strategy, this article received 6,600 clicks and 335,000 impressions. It features several high volume keywords ranked on page 1 including the keyword “first home owners grant nsw 2020” on #1 Position as a Featured Snippet. As of September 2020, search volume of this keyword is 1,300 as per SEMrush.
Got more questions about how Impressive can help your construction business? Our SEO experts are ready to help – we pride ourselves on using SEO to bring tangible results to your business. All you have to do is get in touch today!